Your own wedding is a pretty good event to blog, right?
Saturday, July 12th I married my best friend - and it was the best party I could ever ask for.
Pat and I officially celebrated 6 years together two days prior. It’s hard to believe we dated that long before getting married, but for someone who didn’t really give a crap about weddings, it wasn’t much of a surprise to anyone we knew.
We got married at Browning Amphitheater, a spot next to Mirror Lake on OSU’s campus. Considering we met at a campus bar, we felt we had to pay homage and head back to Columbus town for the wedding. The weather was warm, but not as humid or killer as the day prior. We were only outside for the ceremony - which was all of 20 minutes maybe - then we were off to Graystone Wine Cellar in the Brewery District for the reception.
Total in attendance: less than 40. It was amazing. We wanted a small wedding because we didn’t want the circus of a big one. With both our huge families, it would have been. We decided to do a small wedding/reception in Columbus, then have an open house reception at our house (that will be next month).
For memory’s sake (because my journal has always been my favorite method of time travel), I want to write down some of my favorite moments of the day.
- Car sing-a-longs with Randi on our way to get our makeup done.
- Drinking mimosas with my best friends all.day.long.
- The look on my mom’s face when I put my dress on.
- Exchanging love letters with Pat before the ceremony - his made me cry.
- Going to McFadden’s beforehand to get a picture at the exact same spot at the bar where we met.
- The moment right before I walked down the aisle, when my daddy and I were alone at the top of the stairs - and he joked that it wasn’t too late to run.
- When our officiant quoted Princess Bride, at my pleading:
Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us together tooday. Mawwage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam…And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva… So tweasure your wuv.
- When I got choked up during the vows.
- The long hug we shared after we walked back up the aisle together alone.
- Seeing the awesome OSU cake that Caroline baked for us.
- Dancing our first dance to Ryan Adams.
- Seeing all my amazing friends in one place - that was such an awesome feeling.
- All my OSU folks screaming along to Hang on Sloopy.
- Tequila shots with everyone.
- Playing Don’t Stop Believin’ as the last song and having every person there screaming along to the words.
- The party bus on the way home. My friends are crazy.
- The after party at Varsity Club.
- Erica coming by the hotel room the next morning to reminisce about an awesome evening.
For a girl who could have eloped in Hawaii, it was an awesome day. And my sparkly dress was probably the best decision I ever made. It was so anti-bridal, but so me.
Overall I couldn’t have asked for a better day to pledge forever to Pat. Insert mush here about how he’s pretty much the only guy to prove to me that love does exist, and that there are people out there who will have your back no matter what. People who will stand up for you fiercely, love you unconditionally, kill spiders for you, and even buy coolers so they can travel 2 hours with your favorite ice cream so it doesn’t melt. I’d say I’m pretty lucky. <3